Monday, October 1, 2012

Size Misconceptions at Victoria's Secret

I've never been one to shop at Victoria's Secret for a handful of reasons. My boobs are too big for their bras, and I have always been plus sized (wearing typically a size 22 or larger in pants). Admittedly, in American culture, there's such a stress on being able to shop at VS. I've always felt like I was missing out on something, or that maybe I was less of a woman because I could not shop at VS because of my size. I mean, c'mon....the place OOOZES sexiness. Who doesn't want a piece of that?

Anyways, a few years ago I had heard that the VS Pink lounge pants ran fairly big. It was something I brushed off, thinking "They can't possibly run as big as I need them to..."

A couple weeks ago, I double checked the sizing chart on the VS website for their Campus Lounge Pants to see if I really could measure up and try the pants out that every woman who tries them raves about.

 

[caption id="attachment_361" align="aligncenter" width="222"] Photo from Victoria's Secret.com[/caption]

 

Size chart from VS website for campus pants:































































SizeXS0XS2S4S6M8M10L12L14XL16
Bust (in.)32.53334.535.536.537.53940.542.5
Waist (in.)24252627282930.53234
Hip (in.)34.535.536.537.538.539.54142.544.5
Thigh (in.)20.52121.52222.523242526.5

 

So, the last time I checked...my under bust measures 53"", my waist 40", my hips 48", and my thighs about 27". Based on this chart, it does not appear as though I could really even smash myself into a VS XL. Which is fine; I wear 20's in pants, and even up to a 24 in some brands. But, I thought....why the heck not?

On Wednesday when I met with Suzanne from Eveden, my husband and I decided to do some shopping afterwards (we WERE by the mall after all...), and I wanted to stop into VS to try the pants on. I could complain for hours about the terrible service that I received, but let me sum it up in a couple sentences: We were completely ignored when we walked into the store - no hello, no nothing. I walked by a group of four women talking and they did not acknowledge me. Never having shopped in a VS before, it took me a while to find what I was looking for. Granted, they do not have XLs in the store (at least not in lounge pants) so I started to feel even more out of place. I grabbed the campus pants in a large and figured I would try them on. To get to the fitting room, I had to walk from "PINK" through the beauty and makeup section to the actual bra shop. In beauty, there was an associate trying on lipstick. In the bra area? Four women standing in a circle laughing. I asked for a fitting room and got some rude looks as I was led back to try the pants on. I put them on and VOILA! A large fit my plus-sized, big belly body. When I walked out to show them to my husband, a handful of associates turned around with shock on their faces that the pants actually fit me.

Had it not been for the insane comfort of the pants, I would have walked out without buying anything. But I decided that my own desire to have comfy sweats this winter was more important than being snubbed by rude sales associates.

Okay, I said I wouldn't complain.....but....I was so appalled by how I was treated in that store.

But I digress....

It's possible that there ARE more options for plus sized women at VS than I originally thought. I was curious about the sizing of the campus pants the other day and held them up to a new pair of jeans that I just bought at Torrid (the same day we stopped at VS). The jeans I bought are skinny jeans - I can review them if readers are interested - in a size 24. They run small, but they are a great fit once you figure them out (on the torrid size chart, I measure into a size 20 - which fit in their boot cut jeans, but not the Sophia skinny jeans).

 

Size chart from www.Torrid.com



































































Torrid Sizes

Bust

Waist

Low Hip

12

39"

32"

41"

14

41"

34"

43"

16

43"

36"

45"

18

45"

38"

47"

20

47"

40"

49"

22

49"

42"

51"

24

51"

44"

53"

26

53"

46"

55"

28

55"

48"

57"

 

 

The waist measurement of size 24 jeans on their sizing chart is 44", but keep in mind that the skinny jeans I have run a size small (so the measurements are more related to a size 22). When I held up the  VS campus pants to these new jeans, the VS pants - not stretched - are 2" smaller - so the waist size is actually 40" instead of the 32" that they list on their sizing chart. 

Which means that a VS size Large in their campus pants will actually fit most women up to a US size 20. On top of this, I would say that there is a good 4" worth of stretch in the waist band. So realistically, it's possible that women who wear a US size 24 could wear these pants.

Now, the same cannot be said about all of VS's bottoms, i.e. panties, other styles of pants, etc. But if you're looking for a pair of the most comfortable pants you will ever own and are willing to throw down $46.50, and you happen to be plus sized....know that just because the tag says "L" does not mean that you cannot wear these pants.

Happy October and have a great Monday! :-)

 

3 comments:

  1. Shame on them!!! Their behavior was completely uncalled for. I hope you're gonna let the manager know about this. Coming from Victoria's Secret, i'm none too surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fascinating about the sizes! My shape's a bit different from yours -- I'm around a size 16. But I'm definitely an hourglass that leans towards pear when I gain weight so my waist right now is 37ish, my hips 48ish, my thighs 26(!!!) I"ve never tried their pants, but I'm very comfortably happy in their XL underwear, which seems to run true to size (outside of the usual problem I have with all undies of being made for women without a butt.)

    Last time I walked in there it was a busyish Saturday, but I still got mostly ignored except by one sales associate (who I found out was a GG cup, poor thing was squashing herself into too-small bras and looked so misshapen but was delighted when I told her my 34GG size; I wrote down the names of a few UK companies with cheap bras!) I passed plenty of not busy sales associates too. Yeah, I'm a size 16, but I wear a 34 band so by their reckoning I'd still not be sized out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria's secret clothing usually runs large-- I am a size 6/8 in US sizes and I can comfortable fit into an XS in panties or XS/S in PJs. Also, they are ALWAYS so rude, no matter who you are-- I have never had a positive experience with the staff there.

    ReplyDelete