Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricane Sandy Friendly: Easy Chili

I'm deviating from the norm a bit here, and bringing you my recipe for the easiest chili you will ever make. I wanted to share this because, while I'm not directly on the east coast, we have felt the effects of Sandy. It's oh, I don't know....37 degrees outside and snowing - and it's not even November yet. It was just 80 degrees last Tuesday. As they say "If you don't like the weather in Ohio, just wait til tomorrow. It will change." Also, I'm freezing. The puppy keeps telling me he needs to go outside, when really all he wants to do is play Pocahontas and feel the colors of the wind blowing through his floppy ears. Rawr. But I digress...

Here's my recipe for delicious and easy chili. I use ground turkey because we don't eat red meat at our house, but feel free to use ground beef (you could maybe try chicken or steak, too).

Easy Chili

Ingredients:

  • 2, 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes

  • 2 cans of diced tomatoes (or about 3 cups fresh diced tomatoes)

  • 1 can of red kidney beans drained, or 1 can chili beans - do not drain chili beans if you use them

  • 1 can of black beans, drained

  • 2 packets of chili seasoning (we use hot and spicy :-) )

  • 1 lb 85/15 ground turkey, browned and drained

  • 1 yellow onion, diced


Directions:

  • Dump all ingredients into a crock pot (4 qt. and higher sizes) and mix well

  • Let simmer on low all day if you like, or about 2 hours on high

  • Eat with cheese, sour cream, or whatever plays your fiddle

  • Serve with delicious corn bread


Makes about 16, 1-cup servings, at about 167 calories per serving, 22 carbs, 6 g fiber, 10 g protein, 5 g fat, and 239 mg of sodium

Here's a photo of my last batch, because I am lazy haha

2 comments: